It was a good cheap Saturday at Belmont. That is, it became one after the VOMITING subsided, but that's to be expected. I have plenty of New York vomiting to my credit, but today was punctuated by the first Long Island vomits on record. Good thing I drank all that Evian because it was the only big bottle of water Duane Reade had, only to see it again.
ANYWAY... points of interest:
- Dual Jewels is a horse I absolutely would've picked had I arrived in time. Speaking of which, Your Jules returned to training only to be scratched repeatedly. I'd think it was all a joke if he wasn't being trained by Dale Romans.
- Who names a horse "Nar"? Especially when "Narwal" more than meets the eighteen character limits AND IS AVAILABLE, this is just plain wrong!
- Afrashad makes Sinister Minister look like a rocking horse. I ran off to the loo mid-ralph during the race, thinking the Mig was going to be killed.
- Penny Chenery and Ron Turcotte (Secretariat's owner and jockey) were signing stuff near the paddock. As much as I wanted some, there were problems. One, you had to pay for stuff and then pay more for them to sign it, and I didn't have it because I had to give the dentist $700. More than that, I wanted to gush like a rabid fangirl, but I couldn't because I'D BEEN VOMITING. I'd cleansed my palate as best I could with a plain slab of chikkin and some mushy ice cream, but I blow chunks out my nose, so I will remain convinced that I smell like hurl. (A friend in high school told me that this isn't normal and I'm a freak, but she liked to feel superior to me in every way... for all I know, she's the matron saint of nasal projectiles.) I can't rabidly gush in that state. Third, there was a guy I didn't recognise in a Team Secretariat jacket, and he was signing things. I thought I knew them all, so I was paralysed by inadequacy and slunk away. Maybe it was Eddie Maple. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Turcotte - Cruguet - Cauthen lineup last year. Grr.
- Gorella made my heart stop. AAAAAAAAaaaaugh!
- Right after the Gorella race, NYRA decided to be a bunch of cockheads. Instead of letting the horses do a lap around the walking ring, the riders-up call went off while they were still waaaay over by the saddling area, walked by the clubhouse side of the paddock, and out into the tunnel. This was NOT popular with, oh, THE WHOLE GRANDSTAND SIDE, since we couldn't see worth balls. I don't come down for the betting - I live in OTB central. I come down for the HORSIES, and I think I saw Grey Swallow's ears. Kill.
- Hasili was put on this planet to screw me over, one foal at a time.
- Signed the giant Barbaro card. Most people who did so really like Barbaro and reminded him that it's better to mount than to be mounted. Some used it to vent: "Good luck Barbaro... NYRA has gone downhill."
- Someone raked out the walking ring in time for the Belmont Stakes horses to do *a* lap with riders up. Sigh. Last year I had about 30 photos of Afleet Alex alone, which I would still have if I had been motivated enough to resize and upload them as I did with the whole undercard. (%^%*$%^%^#@@@!)
If Barbaro had been there, I guarantee there would've been mad Barbaro parade action, or riots would ensue. Either NYRA didn't give a shit, or they assumed nobody else would. These past few years made them laaazy.
- I got to ride the grandstand escalator right behind Kenny Mayne, who has the most delightful little ass. This is another thing I can't get on cable, because they cruelly put this sexxay critter behind a desk. Of course, I couldn't talk to him because of the chunks.
- Couldn't see or hear the Belmont at all from upstairs. I knew Bob and John (that's one horse) was leading for most of it, then there was a blur, and then I saw a horse in bluish silks go under the wire and thought, Holy balls, tell me that Hemingway's Muthafuckin Key did NOT just win the Belmont.
Once I learned it was Jazil, all was righted in the universe...okay, with the exception of poor Mike Luzzi having to lope across the line on Double Galore what seemed like five minutes later. Any horse except Hemingway's Key could've won and I'd be happy, so it all worked out.
- Sometimes I win at the Long Island Railroad and get to ride in the same car as Whipper's owners, or sit next to a guy who tells me about his day at Shergar's Epsom Derby. This time I got sorority sluts. Oh well. :)
- There was a dude giving out Chick tracts
in the subway, but I forgot to go back and get some. His fault for not actively pushing it on me just because I had my hands full. Sorry, nemo_wistar